Are you a business owner who ignored youtube in 2017? Do you plan on doing the same in 2018? Well… continue to do so at your own peril.
The top 100 global brands are testament to proving how effective and critical youtube has become in their brand marketing over the years. Many have moved beyond offline video (television style branding) to a much more socially involved, content rich, and audience engaging platforms such as youtube.
Video marketing is just as important as doing a great video. The top brands understood this in 2016 and in 2017. Since it’s founding in 2005, to the subsequent purchase by Google in 2006, youtube has made giant strides in establishing itself as the most effective social platform to engage brand audiences —customers, clients, prospects, partners, advocates, critics, and competitors. This article will examine marketing insights, strategies and practices the top 100 global brands have achieved using youtube as found by interbrand.com
YouTube Marketing 2018 – Insights from the Top 100 Brands
More Content – More Engagement:
Since 2007 The Top 100 Global Brands have published more than a quarter million videos on youtube – More the videos in their channels more the engagement.
Social Media is KING when it comes to video marketing success:
The top 25% of the top 100 brands had higher Facebook (330 times greater) and Twitter (89 times greater) video sharing than the bottom 25%.
Different video content for different customer levels – No one likes to be sold:
The most successful of the Top 100 Global Brands understand that not everyone likes to be sold. That is why they produce a wide range of video content – Short form videos targeted consumers unfamiliar with the brand, while longer form content maintained engagement with those who already are within the “buying” circle.
Video marketing is as important as video production:
Most brands fail to effectively market the video content they produce. First they don’t understand what is video marketing. Second they fail to form a strategy as to “what” they want to achieve, and they don’t have a system to how calculate video marketing ROI.
If it worked for your competition, it should work for you too:
The top brands to use similar video marketing strategies. This is no secret. Take how Pepsi Cola and Coca Cola approach their video marketing strategies, or the top US beer brands use online video to compete with each other. Copying and emulating what your competition has done may not yield the same result but by tweaking and improving those strategies may do so in your favor.
ALL video marketing strategies DO NOT always target sales:
Traditional advertising and marketing are geared towards driving sales. The new model (especially video marketing) is geared towards targeting subscriber, and follower bases to drive. This increases the potential of the video content to be engaged (like, share, comment).
Major Findings (and Statistics) from the TOP 100 brands on Youtube
- Since Google purchased youtube back in 2007, the Top 100 Global Brands have published a total of 258,000* videos across 1,378* youtube channels, attracting over 9.5* billion total views.
- The top 100 brands have collectively invested billions of dollars in online video creation, and online video marketing.
- Since 2009, the top 100 brands have increased an average of 73%* on publishing costs on average per year. By 2017 these figure are primed for exponential increases.
- Only 1 of the Top 100 Global Brands DOES NOT* have a youtube channel.
- 56 of the Top 100 Global Brands have 10 or more youtube channels.
- Many of the Top 100 Global Brands fail to reach their audiences because they focus more on video production and less on video marketing.
- Over 50% of the videos produced by the top 100 Global Brands have less than 1,000 views.
- YouTube has longer lasting marketing impact than social media for the Top 100 Global Brands. Over 30%* of the total aggregate video views occur 12 weeks after publication.
* as of December 2015
If you are a small to medium business owner, find out How to Win Facebook Video in 2018, and if you really want to look like a rockstar in front of your audience follow these 3 Steps to crush your competition.